- Chardonnay – all blocks showing bud swelling
- Cabernet Franc – nearly at first leaves, though not quite
- Syrah – advanced bud swell
- Mourvedre – advanced bud swell
- Malbec – advanced bud swell
Other varieties are not as advanced, but all are in some stage of bud break. The weather is supposed to cool a bit so I cannot predict exactly what happens from here, but we are about three weeks ahead of last year as of today. None of the local growers can remember bud break at this early date.
Today I am feeling really good about our decision to begin pruning early in 2015 as we are now done with everything but the training and the new planting of Chardonnay. Pruning while the buds are beginning to push allows for easily broken buds and crop loss, so the early start to bud break this year reinforces that the decision to start pruning early was the right thing to do.
I have a new camera this year. Hope you enjoy these beautiful pictures.